A Igreja de Santo António de Moscavide: história de um caminho não percorrido

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

The parish church of Santo António, at Moscavide, dedicated on 9 December 1956 by Cardinal Cerejeira, is characterised by being a building that marks a break, a manifesto of opposition to revivalist churches that were then being opened in Lisbon, which left no-one indifferent and led to a heated controversy, involving the most varied shades of opinion, in favour and against the new church. Designed by the architects João de Almeida and António de Freitas Leal, it appeared as a building linked to a modern and essentially functional style, with marked influence from German Swiss architecture. Inside, the organisation of the liturgical space by giving priority to the altar, by distancing it from the far wall and by placing the congregation in three arms in the form of a T, represented a potential route which was ultimately not followed in Portugal.
Original languagePortuguese
Pages (from-to)167-192
Number of pages26
JournalDidaskalia
Volume40
Issue number2
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1 Jun 2010

Cite this