Pulp calcification in traumatized primary teeth-classification, clinical and radiographic aspects

Anna Carolina Volpi Mello-Moura, Ana Maria Antunes Santos*, Gabriela Azevedo Vasconcelos Cunha Bonini, Cristina Giovannetti Del Conte Zardetto, Cacio Moura-Netto, Marcia Turolla Wanderley

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

3 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Objective: The aim of this study was to standardize the nomenclature of pulp alteration to pulp calcification (PC) and to classify it according to type, quantity and location, as well as relate it to clinical and radiographic features. Study design: The dental records of 946 patients from the Research and Clinical Center for Dental Trauma in Primary Teeth were studied. Two hundred and fifty PC-traumatized upper deciduous incisors were detected. Results: According to radiographic analysis of the records, 62.5% showed diffuse calcification, 36.3% tube-like calcification, and 1.2% concentric calcification. According to the extension of pulp calcification, the records showed: 80% partial calcification, 17.2% total coronal calcification and partial radicular calcification, and 2.8 % total coronal and radicular calcification. As for location, only 2.4% were on the coronal pulp, 5.2% on the radicular pulp and 92.4% on both radicular and coronal pulp. Regarding coronal discoloration, 54% were yellow and 2% gray. In relation to periradicular changes, 10% showed widened periodontal ligament space, 3.1% internal resorption, 10% external resorption, 10.4% periapical bone rarefaction. Conclusions: Since PC is a general term, it is important to classify it and correlate it to clinical and radiographic changes, in order to establish the correct diagnosis, treatment and prognosis of each case.
Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)467-471
Number of pages5
JournalJournal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry
Volume41
Issue number6
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 2017
Externally publishedYes

Keywords

  • Dental
  • Dental pulp calcification
  • Dental trauma
  • Radiography

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Pulp calcification in traumatized primary teeth-classification, clinical and radiographic aspects'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this