Avaliação da leitura em alunos do 3º e 4º ano de escolaridade
: comparação dos desempenhos em função da tarefa usada e sua relação com desempenho escolar a língua portuguesa

  • Elisabete Maria da Cunha de Sousa Gonçalves (Student)

Student thesis: Master's Thesis


According to the official statistics of the Ministry of Education in Portugal, reading has evolved remarkably but we still have, among the European countries, the highest illiteracy rate. Reading plays an important role in all developed societies or societies in progress, being an important mean of communication, allowing greater autonomy for all citizens. Investigators share different points of view in this area, in relation to the concepts and the more effective models to explain the complex process that is reading as well the mental process implied in it. This study tries to give a modest contribute to the discussion of the relationship between reading and academic performance in Portuguese Language with third and fourth grade students. Our goal lied in identifying the relation between student performance in different reading tasks, their cognitive level and academic performance in class and also identifies which task used to assess reading comprehension presented itself as the best predictor for academic achievement in Portuguese Language. This study involved 94 students, 56 belonging to the third grade and 38 to the fourth who attend a elementary school in Vila Verde, Braga, with an average age ranging between 8, 8 years. The instruments used were “Matrizes Progressivas Coloridas de Raven (1947; Simões (2000), o Teste de Idade de Leitura (Sucena & Castro, 2008 (TIL), and two exercises specifically designed for this study: a fill in the gap exercise and a comprehensive exercise. The academic achievement at the end of the year. In general, students in the 4th year had better averages on tests than students of the 3rd year. Regarding the results of the correlations between variables these assume statistical significance at p ≤ 0.01, registering the highest correlations between TIL and evidence gaps (r = 0.60) and between TIL and performance in Portuguese Language (r = 0.58). The regression results suggest that TIL predictor explains 32% of the total variance of the dependent variable (academic performance in Portuguese language) and that evidence of gaps explains only 5% of the variability of the performance in Portuguese language, finally, as a whole these two variables explained 37% of variance in the dependent variable.
Date of Award2012
Original languagePortuguese
Awarding Institution
  • Universidade Católica Portuguesa
SupervisorLúcia do Rosário Cerqueira de Miranda (Supervisor)


  • Reading
  • Assessment
  • Achievement
  • Elementary education


  • Mestrado em Ciências da Educação: Educação Especial

Cite this