Stability of sunflower and rapeseed oil-in-water emulsions supplemented with ethanol-treated rapeseed meal protein isolate

Hristo Kalaydzhiev, Vanya D. Gandova, Petya Ivanova, Teresa R. S. Brandão, Tzvetelin T. Dessev, Cristina L. M. Silva, Vesela I. Chalova*

*Autor correspondente para este trabalho

Resultado de pesquisarevisão de pares

6 Citações (Scopus)

Resumo

A protein isolate (ERPI) was prepared from ethanol-treated rapeseed meal and used as a stabilizing agent in sunflower and rapeseed oil-in-water emulsions. The aim of the current study was to explore the influence of protein and oil concentrations on initial stability of sunflower and rapeseed oil-in-water emulsions by evaluating Gibbs free energy (ΔG) and particle size distribution. The 7-day dynamics of emulsion stability was investigated by turbidity measurement as well. A 32 factorial design was applied to assess the significance of oil (5%, 10% and 15% w/w) and ERPI protein (0.25%, 0.5% and 1.0% w/w) addition on stability of the emulsions. The results demonstrated that the increase of oil concentrations from 5 to 15% positively influenced the initial stability of sunflower and rapeseed oil-in-water emulsions. In both oil types, ERPI protein supplementation at all levels resulted in significant differences in the stability of 5% and 10% oil emulsions but did not alter the initial stability of the emulsions prepared with either 15% sunflower or rapeseed oil. With a few exceptions, there was a good agreement between Gibbs free energy data and microstructural profiles of the emulsions. Overall, emulsions with all sunflower oil concentrations and 1.0% ERPI protein exhibited better initial and a 7-day stability dynamics compared to all rapeseed oil-based emulsions. The study demonstrated the potential of ethanol-treated rapeseed meal protein isolate to serve as an emulsifying agent in sunflower and rapeseed oil containing emulsions.
Idioma originalEnglish
Páginas (de-até)3090-3098
Número de páginas9
RevistaJournal of Food Science and Technology
Volume56
Número de emissão6
DOIs
Estado da publicaçãoPublicado - 1 jun. 2019

Impressão digital

Mergulhe nos tópicos de investigação de “Stability of sunflower and rapeseed oil-in-water emulsions supplemented with ethanol-treated rapeseed meal protein isolate“. Em conjunto formam uma impressão digital única.

Citação